Mk 4:10ff.

Jeffrey B. Gibson jgibson000 at mailhost.chi.ameritech.net
Wed Jan 27 14:33:07 EST 1999

Julian Waterfield wrote:

> Perhaps the hardest verses in Mark, but how should MUSTHRION be translated
> at 4:11?  'Secret' seems almost an under-translation, and 'mystery' an
> over-translation.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I seem to remember the term being explained as meaning the "(until now
hidden) battle plan" of God for establishing his sovereignty in the
world, and therefore the pattern of behaviour that anyone wishing to be
part of the kingdom must adopt. But this may be over subtle.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson