TOU TOU in 1 Clement

Gary S. Shogren gshogren at sol.racsa.co.cr
Tue Jan 26 08:12:26 EST 1999

Rick Duggin Wrote: To the Corinthians (XII) First Clement writes
concerning
the spies of Joshua the son of Nun --

EKPEMFQENTWN  GAR  UPO  IHSOU  TOU  TOU  NAUH

KATASKOPWN  EIS THN IERICW...
---------
But none of the references in LXX have  TOU  TOU.

It is not unusual for the N.T. to have double articles, but
in different cases.    E.g., Mk.3:18, IAKWBON TON TOU
ALFAIOU, but I have never encountered TOU TOU before.

Gary: This looks to me to be just a simple "genitive of relationship",
which omits the name of the identifying male relative (usu father, could be
brother or other association). Usually it's with ACC-GEN, but because of
the UPO it's GEN-GEN. I'd say there's no oddity grammatically, although I
wonder if it was a transgresson of euphonics to say TOU-TOU? A concern that
didn't cause Clement of Rome to lose sleep?