arsenokoite ( 1 corinthians 6:9 ) vs. arseno and koite in Leviticus

dano at ott.net dano at ott.net
Mon Jan 25 10:17:26 EST 1999

Date sent:      	Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:54:05 -0600
To:             	Biblical Greek <b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
From:           	"Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>
Subject:        	Re: arsenokoite ( 1 corinthians 6:9 )  vs. arseno and koite in Leviticus
Copies to:      	Biblical Greek <b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Send reply to:  	"Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>

At 2:04 AM -0600 1/24/99, Chris Korpi wrote:
>I am a new subscriber to this forum.
>
>My question is: Is there a definitive translation of the Greek word
>"arsenokoite" used by Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 1 Timothy 1:10?
>
>I know that Leviticus 18:22 in the Septuigent uses the phrase "arseno" and
>"koite". However, some scholars claim that Paul's compounding of the two
>words can not automatically be assumed to mean "homosexual."   Furthermore,
>such scholars point out that other writers of the time (both Jewish and
>Greek) used other words or phrases that addressed homosexual behavior.
>
>If possible, I would like any works that you could refer me to as well as
>any enlightenment you could provide on this issue.

A couple points in advance of any discussion of this question:

(1) There has been considerable discussion of this question in the past and
I think that it is definitely well worth consulting the archives: I think
quite a bit will be found just by using ARSENOKOITHS as the search term.
There are also pointers toward some of the bibliography on the words and
their usage and background in Biblical texts.

(2) Let's keep any discussion focused on the Greek text and legitimate
understandings of the Greek terminology and let's NOT roam forth openly
into a general discussion of homosexuality.

Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List
cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cconrad at yancey.main.nc.us

You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: dano at ott.net