Word Order in Matt 1:20

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Jan 21 17:07:12 EST 1999

At 4:12 PM -0500 1/21/99, Bill Combs wrote:
>Is there any particular explanation as to why ESTIN is stuck in between
>PNEUMATOS and hAGIOU in Matt 1:20, that is, why the apparent unusual word
>order?
>--
>Bill Combs
>Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary

I don't think it's really all that extraordinary, although one might
conceivably expect an article TOU before hAGIOU to clarify that it's
attributive, but it would in fact be enough to say EK PNEUMATOS ESTIN;
hAGIOU is added, I think, lest there be any concern that some other spirit
is involved (e.g. AKAQARTOU).

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cconrad at yancey.main.nc.us