Clement of Alexandria

Edgar Krentz ekrentz at lstc.edu
Tue Jan 19 05:51:41 EST 1999

>In Hart's comments on UPOGRAMMON IN 1 Pt.2:21
>(Expositor's Gk. Testament) he refers to Clement of
>Alexandria who gives three examples of a copy-head
>or pattern to be traced over by writing-pupils.
>
>Hart cites this as one of Clement's examples --
>BEDIZAMYCQWPLHKTRON  SFIGX
>
>Questions:
>1. The second word means sphinx.    Surely the first
>"word" is not a real Greek word.    Is it a combination
>of words (e.g., PLHKTRON)?   And/or Is it designed
>merely as a memory aid to help students write their letters?
>
>2. If the first "word" is manufactured to aid in writing
>the letters, why is the letter upsilon  missing?   (Or am
>I missing something?)

Is the anser possibly that this is a beginning exercize in writing? I think
that the two "words" contain every letter of the Greek Alphabet. The first
word is a nonsense word.

I will try to look up the other two examples at home this evening.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 E. 55th Street