Greek fonts in WinWord 97

Rodney J. Decker rdecker at bbc.edu
Tue Jan 19 06:32:16 EST 1999

>>For one more thing, anyone using the font of SPIonic? When I use it, it
>>breaks a word into 2 parts when I am going to the next line, even the
>>word should not be breaken there. Any solution?
>
>It's not just SPIonic.  Unless Windows has a Greek dictionary [so it
recognizes the text chains as
>words], it will truncate willy-nilly at the end of a line.
>
>If you figure out how to fix this, let me know...

I think this is a problem with any font that Word considers to be a
"symbol" font. It wrecks havoc with my teaching documents for Greek. (I
have my "overheads" in Word, but with text set at 8 point, whichis
unreadable ont he screen. I control the flow of info and class presentation
by gradually increasing the font size from 8 to 36 point.) My workaround is
a Word macro that "converts" by text so that all interveaning spaces are
formatted for Times New Roman font instead of Greek. The lines then end
correctly and Greek words are not divided.

Rod

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D.       Baptist Bible Seminary
Dept. of NT    P.O. Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* page is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm