Basil Gildersleeve

Stephen C. Carlson scarlson at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 18 21:25:50 EST 1999

I found the following book review of SOLDIER AND SCHOLAR: Basil Lanneau Gildersleeve
and the Civil War, at http://www.worldwarii.com/reviews/bk_basillann.htm :

I will quote the first of many paragraphs:

>Readers of Columbiad have likely never encountered Basil Gildersleeve or
>anyone remotely resembling this giant of letters. Born in Charleston, South
>Carolina, in 1831 and raised in Richmond, Virginia, Gildersleeve earned a
>Ph.D. in classics from the University of Göttingen in 1853 and taught Greek
>and Latin at the University of Virginia until 1876, when he defected to
>Johns Hopkins University to direct the first German-style graduate seminar
>program in the United States. Gildersleeve taught at John Hopkins for forty
>years, edited the American Journal of Philology for half a century, and
>before his death in 1924, had become the foremost classicist in the United
>States. He was one of the most celebrated scholars of his age, receiving
>honorary doctorates from Oxford and Cambridge universities for his lifelong
>crusade in promoting the study of classical literature.

Stephen Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson at mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35