neuter en in John 10; 30

Joseph Garnier mre2me at ccountry.net
Sun Jan 17 16:03:15 EST 1999

It is often assumed the en (one) in John 10: 30 means spirit, or essence
among the churches I have been to.  If this were so, wouldn't it be
feminine?  The normal way to translate a neuter without a substantive
attached seems to be as a thing, but this is distasteful to me as we are
here summing up the father's relation to Jesus.  Can you tell me if there
are any neuter substantives that are personal without being human?  Is it
better to leave it as one, and leave it open for the misinterpretation of
those who profess to understand the universe, or pick some word not because
it indicates what this one is, but because it shows what it is not.  I have
searched the archives and find this subject lacking.  If you already
resolved this I apologize.

             In Jesus' name, Joseph Garnier
                             http://www.ccountry.net/~mre2me