Lk 7:30; HQETHSAN EIS hEAUTOUS

Paul S. Dixon dixonps at juno.com
Sat Jan 16 01:38:49 EST 1999

b-Greekers:

I came across this in Lk 7:30 that really puzzles me.

THN BOULHN TOU QEOU HQETHSAN EIS hEAUTOUS

Compare some of the translations:
"rejected the counsel of God against themselves" (KJV),
"rejected God's purpose for themselves" (NASB),
"rejected God's purpose for themselves" (NIV),
"rejected God's purpose for themselves" (NRSV),
"rejected the plan of God for themselves" (NAB), etc.

It would seem the translations are taking EIS hEAUTOUS
with THN BOULHN TOU QEOU instead of with
HQETHSAN.  What gives here?

Thoughts?

Paul Dixon