Mark 15:34

Jonathan Robie jonathan at texcel.no
Thu Jan 14 09:30:58 EST 1999

At 07:21 PM 1/13/99 -0600, Jesse Nall wrote:

I am new at this, but here goes. I read somewhere in the past that Mark
15:34 should have been "My God, My God, I thank the for such speedy
deliverance". If this is allowable, then it is in unity with other
statements which are accredited to God saying that He will never forsake
anyone that does not forsake Him. Please give the exegetical treatment to
this verse or primarily to "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?". Mark 15:34 And
at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama
sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou
forsaken me? (KJV) <mailto:jnall at alltel.net>jnall at alltel.net

<<<<

I agree with Jim West's analysis here. One clue to the meaning of the
Aramaic is the Greek translation that Mark gives in the same verse. In this
translation, Mark 15:34 uses the same word for "forsake" that Hebrews 13:5
uses when it says "I will never desert you, and I will never forsake you".

Mark 15:34 hO QEOS MOU hO QEOS MOU, EIS TI *EGKATELIPES* ME?
Hebr 13:5  OU MH SE ANW OUD' OU MH SE *EGKATALIPW*

I'm frankly unsure what EGKATALEIPW would have to mean in order to produce
the translation you have given above, but I'm pretty sure it couldn't mean
that in Mark 15:34 and mean "forsake" in Hebrews 13:5.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie		jwrobie at mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://metalab.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101:       http://metalab.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons