Cheat Sheets in Class?

AgapeLove9 at aol.com AgapeLove9 at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 09:07:19 EST 1999

In a message dated 99-01-10 21:12:12 EST, cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu writes:

<<
 At some point you might want to look at one or another different grammar to
 see alternative organizations of case functions, and the accusative in
 particular. ... The listing you cite is not an unreasonable one, but
 you'll find some variations of it in other Biblical Greek textbooks.

One thing I find discouraging is all of the categories in some modern Grammars
(like Mounce, Wallace). After I read all of those categories, I become
paralyzed when I go to translate because I am trying to remember if I have the
correct category and I doubt myself as to whether or not I am remembering all
of the categories. So, I thought I would try an approach with a limited number
of categories (like Vaughan) and master the process before I widen out in my
categories. But that is MY approach. I can probably do okay with lots of
categories and category organizations if I had a "cheat sheet" (xerox of the
categories) in front of me while translating. Will this slow my progress or
help it? My first impression is that it would slow my progress since I am not
forcing myself to think about what the text itself is doing.

Do the benefits outweight the negatives with cheat sheets? Are students of
Greek allowed to use cheat sheets in the classroom?

Mark Johnson