BAPTISMOS

Mark Goodacre M.S.GOODACRE at bham.ac.uk
Tue Jan 12 06:02:41 EST 1999

On 11 Jan 99 at 13:20, dd-1 at juno.com wrote:

> First, does anyone have an online address for
> early English translations of the New Testament,
> i.e., Wycliff or Great Bible.

Great Bible (1540) and Wycliffe (c. 1384 and c. 1395) are both available at
Literature On-Line, but I am afraid that this is not a free resource (as we
established here on b-greek recently!).  It's address, if you are interested,
is:

http://lion.chadwyck.co.uk/frames/bie/htxview?template=basic.htx&content=framese
t.htx

> Second, when was the transliteration BAPTISM
> from BAPTISMOS first used in translation?

The first hit that "baptism" gets in the above resource is in the Bishops
Bible, 1568.  In other words, it does not occur in Wycliffe or the Great Bible.
Baptis* generates many more hits, however, from old English onwards.  Figures
appended.

BAPTISM:

1.
   Bishops' Bible, 1568
                                1

 2.
   Daniel Mace (NT), 1729
                                30

 3.
   Richard Challoner, 1750-1752
                                29

 4.
   John Wesley (NT), 1755
                                74

 5.
   John Worsley (NT), 1770
                                23

 6.
   Noah Webster, 1833
                                27

 7.
   Leicester Ambrose Sawyer (NT), 1858
                                23

 8.
   Twentieth Century New Testament (NT), 1904
                                33

 9.
   New English Bible, 1970
                                37

BAPTIS*

 1.
    West Saxon I (Gospels), c.990
                                      3

 2.
    West Saxon II (Gospels), c.1175
                                      1

 3.
    John Wycliffe (Early), c.1384
                                      58

 4.
    John Wycliffe (Late), c.1395
                                      86

 5.
    William Tyndale (Pentateuch, Jonah & NT), 1530-1534
                                      86

 6.
    Miles Coverdale, 1535
                                      36

 7.
    Great Bible, 1540
                                      53

 8.
    Thomas Matthew, 1549
                                      88

 9.
    Bishops' Bible, 1568
                                      55

 10.
    Rheims Douai, 1582-1610
                                      242

 11.
    Geneva Bible, 1587
                                      96

 12.
    King James Bible, 1611
                                      54

 13.
    Daniel Mace (NT), 1729
                                      49

 14.
    Richard Challoner, 1750-1752
                                      73

 15.
    John Wesley (NT), 1755
                                      108

 16.
    John Worsley (NT), 1770
                                      41

 17.
    Noah Webster, 1833
                                      47

 18.
    Leicester Ambrose Sawyer (NT), 1858
                                      46

 19.
    Twentieth Century New Testament (NT), 1904
                                      60

 20.
    New English Bible, 1970
                                      52

Dr Mark Goodacre     mailto:M.S.Goodacre at bham.ac.uk

Recommended New Testament Web Resources:
  http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre/links.htm
World Without Q:
  http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/q
Homepage: