Congratulations to Wieland Willker

Edward Hobbs EHOBBS at WELLESLEY.EDU
Mon Jan 11 12:46:59 EST 1999

Colleagues:

Recently one of our participants on B-Greek, Wieland Willker at the
University of Bremen (Germany), has made available two remarkable
resources on the Net.

His Papyrus Egerton 2 is a truly wonderful tool for all interested in the
early papyri, particularly in non-canonical Christian papyri.

And now he has posted the complete Greek New Testament in the Nestle-
Aland 26th edition, easily readable (virtually automatically with Windows
95's Symbol font), and without the sometimes-misleading accents and
breathings and capital letters.  Further, he has followed George
Klpatrick's practice of not using final sigma, since it sometimes begs the
question of where word-divisions should occur.  It is downloadable, also.

URL's:

http://purl.org/WILLKER/Egerton/Egerton_home.html

http://www1.uni-bremen.de/~wie/GNT/books.html

May I express my thanks to him for doing us all this fine service!

And, if any of you want to play the "Conjectural Emendation" game,
he has offered some major challenges for us in Egerton 2.  (When
Rendel Harris was asked about his evidence for an amazing new reading in
the Greek New Testament, he would reply, "The very best -- conjectural
emendation!")

Edward C. Hobbs
Wellesley