Accusative Exercises in Vaughan - John 1:14 and James 5:10

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Jan 10 20:52:12 EST 1999

At 3:21 PM -0500 1/10/99, AgapeLove9 at aol.com wrote:
>Here are exercises (2) and (3) of a four-part translation exercise. Are my
>accusative answers correct?
>
>AccusativesÖ
>1. Accusative of direct object
>2. Adverbial accusative
>  a. measure (extent of space or time)
>  b. manner
>  c. reference
>  d. goal, termination
>3. Double Accusative
>  a. person - thing
>  b. direct - predicate
>  c. oath-taking
>4. Accusative absolute

I said something in my previous response about the "less than complete"
character of this listing; I wont' repeat it here.

>John 1:14  KAI hO LOGOS SARX EGENETO KAI ESKHNWSEN EN hHMIN, KAI EQEASAMEQA
>THN DOXAN AUTOU, DOXAN hWS MONOGENOUS PARA PATROS
>
>And the Intermediary (or, Word) became flesh and dwelt among us, and we viewed
>his glory, a glory like an only-begotten of a Father.
>
>THN DOXAN - acc of direct object
>DOXAN (2nd) - still acc of dir object but in a phrase in apposition to the
>first DOXAN.
>
>Right?

Right.

>James 5:10  hUPODEIGMA LABETE, ADELFOI, THS KAKOPAQEIAS KAI THS MAKROQUMIAS
>TOUS PROFHTAS
>
>Take an example, Brothers, from the suffering and patient endurance of the
>prophets.

While that version certainly conveys the sense of the sentence, it doesn't
carry the grammatical structure of the Greek over into English very well; a
better version for that purpose might be: "take, brothers, as an example of
suffering and patient endurance the prophets." That is to say, those
genitives depend upon hUPODEIGMA.

>HUPODEIGMA / TOUS PROFHTAS - double accusative - person/ thing.

I'd say rather that this is an instance of 3.b. in your list above:
hUPODEIGMA and PROFHTAS are a double accusative in that the two are equated
with each other; in this instance I'd probably prefer to say that TOUS
PROFHTAS is the direct object of LABETE and that hUPODEIGMA is a predicate
accusative.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cconrad at yancey.main.nc.us