Accusative exercise in Vaughan - Matthew 20:6

AgapeLove9 at aol.com AgapeLove9 at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 14:56:20 EST 1999

Hi. I am a self-taught Greek student plodding my way through Vaughan -Gideon.
I like it because it is a workbook format and makes me work. But it doesn't
have the answers! I was hoping some on this list could edit my answers. The
subject is the Accusative Case and I am assigned to translate several verses,
giving special attention to accusative constructions. Here are my accusative
categories….

Accusatives…
1. Accusative of direct object
2. Adverbial accusative
  a. measure (extent of space or time)
  b. manner
  c. reference
  d. goal, termination
3. Double Accusative
  a. person - thing
  b. direct - predicate
  c. oath-taking
4. Accusative absolute

Matt 20:6  PERI DE THN ENDEKATHN EXELQWN hEUREN ALLOUS hESTWTAS KAI LEGEI
AUTOIS, TI' hWDE ESTHKATE hOLHN THN hHMERAN ARGOI

And going out, he found them about the eleventh hour standing (loitering) and
he said to them: "Why have you stood here all day unemployed?"

PERI DE THN ENDEKATHN - Acc of extent of time (When?)
ALLOUS - acc of direct object (Who?)

Doesn't the hESTWTAS serve some kind of accusative function even though it is
a verb here? (he found them doing WHAT?)

THN hHMERAN - acc of extent of time
HOLHN - acc of extent of time modifying THN hHMERAN

Thank you,
Mark Johnson