AGAIN! (Re: Another question re. 2 Tim 1.12)

George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 7 11:00:07 EST 1999

>From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu>
>Subject: Re: AGAIN! (Re: Another question re. 2 Tim 1.12)

>There are times when I look
>back wistfully at Joshua Whatmough's "naive" declaration that all
>accusatives simply set limits upon the efficacy of a word with which
>they
>construe--and then we have to go and divvy up all the different kinds
>of
>limiting functions into so many different "accusatives."

You make a wonderful point here, Carl ~

Why, in heaven's name, burden the grammar of K. Greek with a whole bunch
of terms that really only express what is "naively" simple to
understand?  Greek is, imho, already very overburdened in this regard,
such that studying it CAN be a very daunting intellectual 'memorization
of terms' exercise for folks starting out.  And what purpose is served
by such an intellectually plethoric nomenclature?  Does it help those
who 'know' the nomenclature to better understand the Greek?  Or does it
simply bar the door to others?

George

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA