Luke 1:2

James P. Ware jw44 at evansville.edu
Wed Jan 6 10:46:36 EST 1999

Mark,

Thanks for these passages from Matthew:

(Mark Goodacre:)
> One piece that comes to mind is Matthew's use of hOI ARXIEREIS KAI
> hOI PRESBUTEROI TOU LAOU (21.23, 26.3, 26.47, 27.1).  I have always tended to
> think of this as chief priests (one group) plus elders of the people (another
> group) and not chief priests (of the people) & elders (of the people).  But I
> don't know that I can think of any good reason for this.  After all,
> PRESBUTEROI can stand without qualification in the same way that ARXIEREIS can,
> so perhaps we should take TOU LAOU is qualifying both in the above mentioned
> places too?

First off, I should note that I should have been more clear that I am
thinking of contructions where a genitive precedes or follows two or more
nouns connected by kai which are either 1) connected by only one article
(as in Lk 1:2) or 2) anarthrous.  Thus I am excluding constructions where
the article is repeated, since they seem to function differently.  I put
the hypothesis better in the first part of the missive than I suppose I
did at the end:

> > In every instance which I have examined of a genitive
> > preceding or following two or more nouns connected by KAI, whether these
> > nouns are anarthrous or connected by one article, the genitive seems to
> > construe with BOTH nouns (e.g. Phil 4:20; Jude 4; Phil 1:7; 1:11; 4:1; 1
> > Thess 2:12; Col 2:2; 1 Pet 2:25; Rom 1:26; Lk 14:21).

Like you, I would be inclined to see the genitive as modifying only
PRESBUTEROI in Mt 21:23; 26:3; 26:47; and 27:1.  Most of these instances
would not be relevant for this hypothesis, however, since in these cases
"chief priests" and "elders" each have their own article.  But in 26:47
one does find the one-article construction.  If TOU LAOU applies only to
PRESBUTEROI here, this would invalidate the hypothesis.  I would
be inclined to take 26:47 this way, but I am given pause by Mt 2:4, where
TOU LAOU would seem most naturally to be taken with both "chief priests"
and "scribes" (cf. "ruler(s) of the people" in Ac 4:8, 23:5).  Any
thoughts?

Jim Ware