AGAIN! (Re: Another question re. 2 Tim 1.12)

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Jan 6 09:45:45 EST 1999

At 8:29 AM -0500 1/6/99, Perry L. Stepp wrote:
>Perry L. Stepp wrote:
>>>What is the syntactical function of the infinitive FULAXAI in 2 Tim 1.12?
>>>I'm translating it as the complement to the copula--"he is able (DUNATOS
>>>ESTIN) to keep . . ."  Is that (complementary infinitive) the proper
>>>terminology for what I'm seeing?
>

>Carl W. Conrad replied:
>>YES, that's the term; surely DUNATOS ESTIN is equivalent to DUNATAI.
>

>A further question: Brooks and Winbery *seem* to refer to this type of
>infinitive as an infinitive of direct object.  Am I correct in my reading of
>B&W?  In practical (if not metaphysical [grin] ) terms, are "complementary
>infinitive" and "infinitive of direct object" often interchangeable
>appellations?

Well, now; I've never gone that route. Another obscure (metaphysical?) mode
of tackling the infinitive is to say that it has an old dative case-ending
(I, AI) and is something like a dative of "direction." But I really don't
see why we don't call it a complementary infinitive, UNLESS there's some
hesitation to grant that DUNATOS ESTIN = DUNATAI. I defer to Carlton on
this one, reserving the right, of course ...

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cconrad at yancey.main.nc.us