MAKROQUMEW

Joseph P Hennessy, MD Tekmerion at mailhost.net
Wed Jan 6 01:29:10 EST 1999

On 01/05/99, "Jonathan Robie <jonathan at texcel.no>" wrote:
> I'm studying 1 Cor 13, and I'm a little confused by some of the other
> passages in which the word MAKROQUMEW appears. Consider this verse:
>
> Luke 18:7 hO DE QEOS OU MH POIHSHi THN EKDIKHSIN TWN EKLEKTWN AUTOU TWN
> BOWNTWN AUTWi hHMERAS KAI NUKTOS, KAI *MAKROQUMEI* EP AUTOIS;
>
> What does MAKROQUMEW mean in this context? Does it simply mean "to wait"?
> The English word "patient" also has the meaning "to be able to wait".

> (snip)

> Louw and Nida say OLIGOYUCOS means "discouraged". I suppose patience
> requires a sort of courage, an ability to put up with things that are
> worrisome. Is it legitimate to say that MAKROQUMEW is being patient in the
> manner that, in the face of provocation, being wronged, and unrighteousness
> (1 Cor 13:5-6), chooses to "bear all things, believe all things, hope all
> things, endure all things"? Does MAKROQUMEW mean persevering as well as
> being patient?

As one who is usually content to watch, read and learn what others in
b-greek say, I am chary about venturing any further. And in this case, it
is not the MAKROQUMEW about which I comment, but the English word
"patience."

Patience derives from the Latin present participle of "patiri," which means
to suffer. This has been important to me for many years since, as a
physician, I have encountered more than a few "patients." At least in the
medical usage, one possessed of patience is clearly one who suffers...while
waiting.

I suppose this is a bit off-topic, but only a bit, maybe.

Joe

Joseph Hennessy, MD
TEKMERION
1442A Walnut Street, 208
Berkeley CA 94709

For Christ's love compels us. 2 Cor 5:14.