Luke 5.29 - Levi's party

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Tue Jan 5 22:31:30 EST 1999

On Tue  5 Jan 99 (18:43:07), m.z.wilkins at zoo.co.uk wrote:
> Do we know exactly what a DOCH in Palestine in the first century might
> have involved?  And were TELWNAI  the sleazy social outcasts my
> Sunday school teachers suggested? I'd be most grateful for any help.

 Margaret:

 If you have access to a library, then turn up Alfred Edersheim, /The Life
 and Times of Jesus the Messiah/, 2 vols., London, 1900, vol 1, pp 514-521.
 This gives a full survey of the various types of TELWNAI at work in
 first-century Palestine, and a full discussion of the implications of the
 conversion of Levi/Matthew, and a consideration of the "memorable gathering
 [that] took place in the house of Matthew".

 Enjoy.
 Ben
--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF