aramaic New Testament

Kevin W. Woodruff cierpke at utc.campuscw.net
Tue Jan 5 15:52:14 EST 1999

Jeramy:

The early Church Father Papias said as recorded by the church historian
Eusebius:

Matthew therefore wrote the Logia in the Hebrew dialect; and everyone
interpred them as he was able

(Ecclesiastical History 3.39.16)

C.C. Torrey and Matthew Black postulate either a Gospel written in Aramaic
or something like the gospel.

Since I believe in verbal inspiration of the Greek, I hold to the
Evangelists wring in Greek

At 02:59 PM 1/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey all:
>
>I know we recently discussed this, but it just came up on another listserv
>of mine.  There are two clergy on this list that talk as if they are
>"assuming" that the NT was first written in Aramaic not Greek, and they
>cite a couple of sources.  Does anybody have some info on the absurdity of
>this hypothesis.  Or am I just being an academic snob going along with the
>"tradition" of a Greek as the original langauge of our texts.  It is what
>currently has the most evidence right--that the NT was originally written
>in Greek? I include his most recent response below.  Is there any
>"respected" scholar who actualy believes that Aramaic was the original
>written text?
>
>Jeramy Townsley
>Indiana University
>http://php.iupui.edu/~jtownsle