Mark 3:33,35 5:42 abnormalities?

Carlton Winbery winberyc at popalex1.linknet.net
Mon Jan 4 11:21:38 EST 1999

Tim Duke wrote;

>I have noticed some places in my Nestles (4th Rev Ed) where italicised
>brakcets enclose a word or phrase, but absolutely no mention is made of
>it in the apparatus below. Two that I have chosen at random are Mark
>3:33,35 and 5:42.
>When I look at the intro, it says these refer to "an abnormality
>reproduced exactly from the original".  Does this mean that there is an
>error in the greek which has persisted in every single ancient
>manuscript?  If so, what is the error in these three cases?  I can't see
>it.  Where have I gone wrong?
>These seem to be quite frequent in Mark (more so than other books).  Any
>reason?

Tim if you do have a Nestle 4th edition, you have an old one.  I started
with Nestle 21 in 1955. Two of the passages you are looking at involve the
omission of words [MOU & GAR].  Both are omitted in B which Nestle took
very seriously. I would guess that that is the reason for the italics,
perhaps. In the third instance the omission of EUQUS is likely though the
Nestle-Aland prints it in square brackets.

Just guessing.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College