Mt 9:13

Jim West jwest at Highland.Net
Mon Jan 4 09:39:44 EST 1999

At 12:59 PM 1/4/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Greekers,  Denny Diehl here
>
>Thanks to all for the helpful comments on Mt 9:13 in
>regard to the quotation of Hos 6:6 (7).  I would like to
>note what Jesus stated:
>
>	"ELEOS QELW KAI OU QUSIAN" -Mt 9:13
>
>I believe this is a comparison of two choices, one
>choice desired above the other (rather than one is
>correct, the other is absolutely wrong).  Is there a
>definitive way grammatically that shows this to be
>the case, or is it just a matter of interpretation?
>
>Thanks again for all the help.
>
>Denny

Denny-  I heartily recommend Bill Loader's book- "Jesus' Attitude Towards
the Law".  Bill therein discusses every possible NT ref. to Jesus and the
law, as well as extra-biblical materials.  On page 192f Bill covers Mt 9:9-13.

Regarding grammar- your interpretation is as likely as any- and in fact it
is my own view as well.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD