Off-topic

Kevin W. Woodruff cierpke at utc.campuscw.net
Sun Jan 3 13:28:10 EST 1999

Jane:

The Hebrew word is "Kima" from a root meaning "a heap, group, or family"
There is evidence that several cultures including the Australian
aboringines, the American Indians, the Egyptians. and the Greek all saw them
as a constellation that was what the Greeks called the Pleiades (from the
Greek word meaning "to sail" because their appearance maked the beginning of
the sailing season).

The Orion is the Hebrew word "kesil" and there seems to be very little doubt
that it refers to the constellation that the Greeks called Orion. The
Aramaic Targums translated it as "giant" and Syriac Peshitta translates it
as "giant" as well. the reference in Job 38:31 make reference to a "girdle"
which is what we call "Orion's Belt"

Hope this helps!

Kevin

At 08:39 PM 1/2/99 EST, you wrote:
>This is actually a question about Hebrew not Greek, but I thought I'd ask
>since so many of you know both. In Amos (5:8) it says, "Seek him that made the
>Pleiades and Orion". Now I can understand if that is what is says in LXX (of
>which I have no copy), But surely this isn't what the Hebrew says. Were there
>constellations in ancient Hebrew culture? What sorts of figures were they?
>Were the ancient Jews astonomers? Astrologers?
>
>If this isn't of general interest please reply off-list.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jane Cates
>

>---
>B-Greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek