Off-topic

JaneGC at aol.com JaneGC at aol.com
Sat Jan 2 20:39:40 EST 1999

This is actually a question about Hebrew not Greek, but I thought I'd ask
since so many of you know both. In Amos (5:8) it says, "Seek him that made the
Pleiades and Orion". Now I can understand if that is what is says in LXX (of
which I have no copy), But surely this isn't what the Hebrew says. Were there
constellations in ancient Hebrew culture? What sorts of figures were they?
Were the ancient Jews astonomers? Astrologers?

If this isn't of general interest please reply off-list.

Thanks,

Jane Cates