Fw: agape'

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Oct 18 10:23:48 EDT 1998

At 10:57 PM -0500 10/17/98, Robert E. Sackett wrote:

>From: Robert E. Sackett <<mailto:sackett at wport.com>sackett at wport.com>
>Date: Saturday, October 17, 1998 8:08 PM
>Subject: agape'
>
>I'm trying to find in the classical Greek works where the word agape' is
>used.  I only care about the noun use and not the verb use.  I have tried
>the Perseus site
>but it does not work right in that it gives too much garbage.
>thanks
>Bob Sackett
>Seattle Wa

Having checked the Perseus web site, I see what you mean: 60 instances of
the verb AGAPAW are actually indexed in the Perseus texts. What I think
this means, however, is simply that only the verb AGAPAW is actually found
in the Perseus texts, not the noun AGAPH at all. You should realize that,
although the Perseus texts do include Homer, Hesiod and major 5th and 4th
century classical Greek writers, the Perseus 2.0 database is far from a
complete database of classical Greek literature. For that you would have to
go to the TLG database--or the TLG CD-ROM and a search program that will
read it.

I just now ran a search for AGAPH as a single word--which gets all
instances of either the nom. or dative (AGAPHi) through the letter C in the
complete works on the TLG disk: 171 hits, all of them post-Christian. You'd
have to run a similar search for AGAPHS to get the genitive singular and
for AGAPHN to get the accusative singular. I'm not going to try it, but
this is the way you'd have to go about it, and then you'd have to analyze
your findings--probably very few hits for the noun AGAPH in pre-Christian
Greek literature. You'd more quickly learn what you want, I think, simply
by consulting BAGD and/or LSJ-Glare: they've already done that work of
analysis, although it is certainly conceivable that you could analyze all
your findings and disprove what they offer as the probable sense in all
relevant Greek texts.
cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cconrad at yancey.main.nc.us