Luke 3:18 Syntax

G. Ross gfross at dnai.com
Thu Oct 8 16:39:04 EDT 1998

I would appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to explain to me the syntax of Luke 3:18.

POLLA MEN OUN KAI hETERA PARAKALWN EUHGGELIZETO TON LAON.

I am currently reviewing the form and use of present (continuous) participles as presented in chapter 27 of Mounce's _Basics of Biblical Greek_.  The verse given above is part of a translation exercise in the workbook that accompanies Mounce's BBG.

What puzzles me is the use of the middle voice of EUANGGELIZW.  Do POLLA and hETERA function as the grammatical subjects of EUHGGELIZETO (neuter compound subject with a verb in the singular) and consequently TON LAON as the direct object of PARAKALWN?

Thank you for your help!

Gordon Ross
gfross at dnai.com