with regret-----

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Oct 7 08:07:27 EDT 1998

At 2:02 PM -0500 10/6/98, Jim West wrote:
>Hello- I know this is not the proper place to ask this question- but I am
>hoping to prevail on Carl's compassion or that of another.....
>
>I am attempting to find out the underlying Latin of a sentence of
>Augustine's Confession- book 2, chapter 3, sec. 5 (last sentence before
>section 6)-
>
>in English it reads... "O God, who art the sole true and good Lord of my
>heart, which is thy field"

Here's the whole sentence; the part you've cited is the last 12 words of it:

multorum enim civium longe opulentiorum nullum tale negotium pro liberis
erat, cum interea non satageret idem pater, qualis crescerem tibi aut quam
castus essem, dummodo essem disertus vel desertus potius a cultura tua,
deus, qui es unus verus et bonus dominus agri tui,cordis mei

>Now I have ordered the Loeb edition but it will not be here for a few
>days... and I simply cannot wait.
>
>Someone, please, give aid....

Jim O'Donnell, one of the major Augustine scholars and author of the major
commentary on the Confessions, maintains one of the most fantastic web
sites of its kind at UPa on Augustine:

	http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/augustine.html

There is a complete Latin text of the Confessions there as well as two
different English translations, Latin texts (and translations) of several
other works of Augustine, and the entire correspondence from two on-line
seminars on Augustine that he has conducted.
cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cconrad at yancey.main.nc.us