[acawiki-general] summary reuse

Chitu Okoli Chitu.Okoli at concordia.ca
Wed Feb 20 14:54:29 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

I first posted here a year ago, and I've been silently listening since
then. However, Joniand Mike's posts  highlight what I have always
considered a major irony of AcaWiki, which I suspect limits its
tremendous potential. I offer this as (hopefully) constructive criticism.

It is my understanding that Wikimedia can legally copy and modify
summaries from AcaWiki (CC-BY), but AcaWiki cannot legally copy the
summaries found on Wikimedia pages (CC-BY-SA). In fact, the article that
Joni linked to says, "Most of this summary originates in the one posted
acawiki.org
<http://acawiki.org/Studying_cooperation_and_conflict_between_authors_with_history_flow_visualizations>"
implies that AcaWiki cannot benefit from the modified summary that
originated from AcaWiki. Isn't this ironic?

So, you have four excellent summaries of articles, legally free, and
ready to copy-and-paste into AcaWiki (the other four summaries on that
Wikimedia page), but this is not possible for reasons of license
incompatibility. And please note that this incompatibility is only one
way, in the wrong direction for AcaWiki. Thus, Mike generously offers to
rewrite fresh new summaries. Isn't this ironic?

In fact, I believe literally hundreds of articles are in the same
situation scattered across the Web (that is, available CC-BY-SA, and
thus unavailable to AcaWiki). Might this not suggest a compelling reason
to switch the AcaWiki license to CC-BY-SA? I think such a change might
provide a tremendous boost and much-needed boost towards better
realizing the huge potential that I believe AcaWiki has.

Regards,
Chitu

Chitu Okoli
Associate Professor in Information Systems
John Molson School of Business, Concordia University, Montréal

Professeur invité dans technologies d'information
HEC Montréal, 2012 à 2013

http://chitu.okoli.org/pro