[acawiki-general] [Wiki-research-l] Proposal: new hosting for AcaWiki

Jon Phillips jon at fabricatorz.com
Sun Apr 17 22:25:40 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 2011/4/3 Mike Linksvayer <ml at gondwanaland.com>:
> > Neeru should speak up on disposition of the project, but IMO:
> > * Folding into a WMF project would be by far the best outcome, whatever
> > changes that would ential
>
> Hm, AcaWiki without SMW? That seems like it would greatly diminish the
> value of the resource.
>
> SMW is still a big heap of "untrusted code" from our perspective that
> we're not prepared to host on our main cluster yet, and our
> virtualized cluster for prototype sites is still pretty fragile. We're
> hoping to greatly expand it into a proper "labs" infrastructure
> through this calendar year, which would prepare us to host projects
> like AcaWiki with relative ease.

Who is in charge the virtualized cluster work? We can be guinea pigs ;)

> My recommendation would be to go with an SMW hosting provider for now,
> to help grow and nurture the wiki, and to consider a WMF migration
> towards end-of-2011. Mike, let me know if you want us to help with the
> hosting costs. IMO AcaWiki needs to get the tools that AcaWiki needs
> first and foremost, and shouldn't be constrained by WMF hosting
> parameters at this point in its development.

Cool, how would helping with the hosting costs work? It would be great to
just avoid it and move right into virtualization :) great!

Cheers

Jon

> --
> Erik Möller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Jon Phillips
http://fabricatorz.com/
chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) | +1-510-499-0894 (sf)
+86-187-1003-9974 (beijing)