[acawiki-general] [Wiki-research-l] Proposal: new hosting for AcaWiki

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Tue Apr 5 14:40:38 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 14:21, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 2011/4/3 Mike Linksvayer <ml at gondwanaland.com>:
> > Neeru should speak up on disposition of the project, but IMO:
> > * Folding into a WMF project would be by far the best outcome, whatever
> > changes that would ential
>
> Hm, AcaWiki without SMW? That seems like it would greatly diminish the
> value of the resource.

SMW isn't crucial for any current site features; it's just an implementation
alternative. Maybe that will change in the future, but I think a large
community of contributors is vastly more important to a good future than any
technical increment. At present however, I think the community is too small
to even do the work of migrating away from SMW though. :-\

> SMW is still a big heap of "untrusted code" from our perspective that
> we're not prepared to host on our main cluster yet, and our
> virtualized cluster for prototype sites is still pretty fragile. We're
> hoping to greatly expand it into a proper "labs" infrastructure
> through this calendar year, which would prepare us to host projects
> like AcaWiki with relative ease.

That's extremely exciting to hear, irrespective of eventual utility to
AcaWiki. Wow! (Yes, I see "hoping", not reading certainty into above.)

> My recommendation would be to go with an SMW hosting provider for now,
> to help grow and nurture the wiki, and to consider a WMF migration
> towards end-of-2011. Mike, let me know if you want us to help with the
> hosting costs. IMO AcaWiki needs to get the tools that AcaWiki needs
> first and foremost, and shouldn't be constrained by WMF hosting
> parameters at this point in its development.

Sounds good. I'll make sure CC facilitates such a move, and bug AcaWiki
people until it happens. :-)

Mike