[acawiki-general] Fwd: comments on BibTeX import, from Jim Pitman

Daniel Mietchen daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 27 06:52:24 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:52 PM, Nathan Yergler
<nathan at creativecommons.org> wrote:

> It's already open.  If you look at http://acawiki.org/Special:Version,
> you'll see the link to the extension page
> (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:BibTexImport) with source
> details.
Thanks for the hint, Nathan (and for coding this in the first place).

I just gave the upload function a try but discontinued because of
"Select and correct the articles you want to import" - I think it
would be very helpful
to have some "Select All"/ "Deselect All" button.

In terms of correcting metadata, I do not feel like correcting
thousands of bibtex entries
manually when CrossRef (for DOI) and others (SRef, CiteULike etc.)
already keep detailed
records of this kind relatively clean (much like FreeDB does for
music, but generally better).

And making things easily corrigible is one of the major functions of a
wiki, right? I think
it would be better to have a wiki bot go through the newly uploaded
stuff on a regular
basis and to make suggestions on how to correct/ reformat the metadata, based on
information provided at the above-mentioned places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DOI_bot
comes close to this already.

Cheers,

Daniel