xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] 1.2.11 Release Candidate

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] 1.2.11 Release Candidate
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 12:34:59 -0400

Yes, absolutely. I had someone privately ask me about Java 6 support
in XOM this week. I expect I'm going to hear from people who are on
earlier versions of Java than that.

In my experience people vastly overestimate how fast upgrades happen
and vastly underestimate how many developers are using really old
versions. This is hardly unique to JDKs. I could say the same for
Eclipse, Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, HTML, Maven, or most other
platforms you care to name.

There are details I can't give because they involve confidential
internal information from more than one place, but I am confident that
Java 9 and Java 10 aren't options for most production developers at
this point. Java 11 might be, and maybe it will be feasible to require
it sometime in the 2020s. At this point I'm comfortable requiring Java
5. Java 6 is probably OK, though not helpful in itself for any reason
I can think of right now since Java 6 didn't add much to the language.
Beyond that I'd be leaving users behind for no particular reason.