xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Inserting entities directly?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: <nu.xom AT io7m.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Inserting entities directly?
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 14:59:47 +0000

'Lo.

On 2016-05-27T15:27:07 +0100
Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com> wrote:

> From the XML FAQ
>
> http://www.xom.nu/faq.xhtml#d0e186
>

> >Does XOM support XML 1.1?
>
> >No. XML 1.1 is an abomination. You don't need it and you shouldn't use it.

No XML 1.1 here, only 1.0.

> You're out of luck. XOM is very very strict about validating content
> according to the XML rules, and you can't cheat.

And I appreciate XOM for it. Correctness is typically a vague
afterthought in modern software.

> If you want something that isn't XML 1.0, or that is more liberal in what
> it accepts, then you'll need a different library.

I wasn't aware that what I was trying to do was forbidden by the XML
specification (I assumed the restrictions only applied to raw
characters appearing in the document as opposed to characters resulting
from the expansion of hex entities).

I guess I'll be transforming everything to U+FFFD.