xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Code review needed

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Code review needed
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 14:50:17 -0400

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Seth Blumberg <sethb AT pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Elliotte Rusty Harold
> <elharo AT ibiblio.org>wrote:
>
> > Thread t = new Thread(job);
> >

> This will cause the process to be rudely aborted on some managed frameworks
> that don't allow user-code-created threads. As in, no chance to catch an
> exception. Poor design, but.

Can you be more specific? I.e. what are such frameworks?

> You would need an option to disable threading, and have the threaded code
> fall back to non-threaded mode if creating a new thread caused a runtime
> exception.

I expect I'm going to avoid creating a new thread here unless the client
explicitly requests DOS protection.

Does anyone happen to know a way to do this (time limit a job) in java 1.4
and earlier without creating a new thread?

elharo AT ibiblio.org