xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Performance problems with very large attribute strings

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Performance problems with very large attribute strings
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 12:09:39 +0100

It's already on the web at http://bitbucket.org/petermr <various projects>.
I plan to "announce" it this week (probably on http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk).

> Prettty please Peter - scanning / OCR, save as, convert
> is an awfully messy route.

It is aimed at born-digital PDFs (which are still utterly revolting in some
cases - text made by stictching images - and "Unicode? what's that? doesn't
everyone use Symbol font?"). I don't have any magic for scanned images
(yet) but I am working towards vector-graphics-destroyed-as-PNG.

This is getting off-topic (and I'll mail Dave separately), but I'll end by
saying that XOM is a wonderful approach for modelling a great deal of what
I do, especially reconstructing structured documents from something awful.
All my data models are now basically stateless XOM which is clean and
performs well (I have a slight hint that Attributes and query() cause minor
performance problems in some cases, but I haven't looked in detail.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics