xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Performance problems with very large attribute strings

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Performance problems with very large attribute strings
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 09:05:25 +0100

Thanks very much, Michael

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com> wrote:

> I would expect most parts of the XML stack to buckle under that load.

Thanks for the reality check! I'm raising it because it may hit other
people who consume SVG. We are now in a world where 20 Mb images are common.

Would there be any difference between attribute content and element
content?

Are you sure it's XOM that's showing the strain, rather than the XML parser?

No, I'm not sure, and now that you have raised it I'd guess it was at that
level.

My current workaround will be to parse the string content of the file,
extract the contents of xlink:href, turn that into PNG files (or whatever)
and replace the xlink data with an href to the file. It's pretty safe as
the XML is originally output by XOM.

FWIW for anyone interested in the problem I have written an Open Source
PDF-to-XML tool for (including diagrams) and this is based on XOM and
PDFBox

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics