xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Builder.build(String) is misleading

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: cowwoc <cowwoc AT bbs.darktech.org>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Builder.build(String) is misleading
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 02:04:04 -0400

> What would be wrong with adding a new build method that takes a URL (or
URI)
> and deprecating the old one? Wouldn't break any builds, but would fix the
> issue that the OP brought up.
I could probably be talked into adding an extra build(URL) method if a
lot of folks wanted it.

I don't see a compelling reason to deprecate the old one though.
Elliotte,

Why not ask your users:

1. How many of them use this method (today)?
2. How many of them used this method incorrectly when they first tried XOM?

I suspect that you will find that few people build Documents from a URL in the first place, and that most of your users thought that Builder.build(String) was used to build a Document from a String buffer. If that is the case, deprecating the method will do more good than harm to most of your users.

Gili