xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Builder.build(String) is misleading

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: cowwoc <cowwoc AT bbs.darktech.org>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Builder.build(String) is misleading
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 13:25:19 -0400

Hi,

I propose removing Builder.build(String) because it is misleading. I am willing to bet that 99% of new users fall into the trap of using this method to parse an XML document from a String only to find out that the String actually represents a URL.

1. If you're expecting a URL, why not just ask for one instead of a String?
2. It doesn't help that if you pass in an XML document you end up with a cryptic error message.

Am I the first person to bring this up?

Gili