xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Canonicalization does not handle URI correctly

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Timo Boehme <timo.boehme AT ontochem.com>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Canonicalization does not handle URI correctly
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:31:04 +0200

Elliotte Rusty Harold schrieb:

> What Dr. Kay said. You can probably do what you need to do by loading
> the URL/JAR into a stream using Java's classes and then parsing the
> stream.

Yes, but this fails if a 'local' DTD is referenced within the XML file
(both are in the JAR). Before canonicalization this worked without
problems. Now I would need to write a special entity resolver which is
hard to do with external libraries.

Since working with JAR archives is quite common in Java and placing
properties within these archives as XML too, it would be helpful if
jar 'URIs' would get a special treatment.

Even the RFC 3986 states in section 1.2.3:
For some URI schemes, the visible hierarchy is limited to the scheme
itself: everything after the scheme component delimiter (":") is
considered opaque to URI processing

Kind regards,

Timo

--