xom-interest - [XOM-interest] Canonicalization does not handle URI correctly

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Timo Boehme <timo.boehme AT ontochem.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] Canonicalization does not handle URI correctly
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:37:19 +0200

I resend this post since my anonymous posting didn't made it to the list.

Somewhere in 1.2.X version of XOM canonicalization of URIs where
introduced in Builder. However the algorithm used assumes URL syntax
which is too restrictive.
I found the bug using a software which provides a jar-URI to read XML
file from a jar archive. The URI looks like
jar:file:/path/to/jar/archive.jar!/path/within/archive/data.xml
The canonicalization algorithm changes this to
jar://file:/path/to/jar/archive.jar!/path/within/archive/data.xml
which results in MalformedURLException if the software tries to
read jar from //file:/...
So either canonicalization should use a white list for schemes to
canonicalize or a black list for schemes which should not be touched or
need to be extended to handle URIs.

Best regards,

Timo

--