xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] How to make the object of nu.xom.Document may toserialize ?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: XOM interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] How to make the object of nu.xom.Document may toserialize ?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:26:43 -0500

Serialization is like inheritance: it looks simple and easy, but it's not. Making classes Serializable is a lot of work that severely restricts your implementation flexibility going forward; and, unless you're very careful, it opens up a lot of potential security and correctness holes. The marginal benefits simply don't come close to balancing the major costs.

Serialization is one of several technologies I used to think looked cool, but that's just proven too dangerous and error prone for practical work. I'd estimate 90%+ of serializable classes I encounter make at least one and usually more than one serious mistake.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!