xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] How to make the object of nu.xom.Document may toserialize ?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Steve Loughran" <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] How to make the object of nu.xom.Document may toserialize ?
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 21:18:01 +0000

On Dec 5, 2007 11:39 AM, Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com> wrote:
> > How to make the object of nu.xom.Document may to serialize,
> > please help ?
>
> By "serialize", I suspect you are referring to Java serialization.
>
> But the best way to serialize a tree representation of an XML document is as
> XML. So Java serialization really isn't appropriate.

Putting aside technical and idelogical purity, sometimes its good to
serialize document trees, as that way you can marshall it over RMI
with ease

(a) use JDom; this is a supported use case

(b) subclass nu.xom.Document, implement serialize/deserialize code
that saves the doc to a UTF8 encoding in a byte array, and sends that
over the wire, converting it at the far end .

-steve