xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] How to get access to XOM ContentHandlers?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Thomas Hicks <hickst AT theriver.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] How to get access to XOM ContentHandlers?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:03:42 -0400

Thomas Hicks wrote:
No reply to my post....but I suppose it's my fault: I didn't
phase it as an interrogative. I really meant to ask some questions:

1) Is my analysis of the situation incorrect or incomplete?
2) Is there some other way to do this? (a workaround)?
3) What's the motive for hiding access to XOM's content handlers?
4) Might this be changed anytime in the future?

I'm a little confused abut exactly what you're trying to do. I expect there's way to do it, just not through the approach you're taking, but I'm not sure.

Generally when access to something is hidden in XOM it's either :

A. Because it might change in the future
B. Because access to it would allow the creation of malformed documents.

In this case, I think it's the latter.

To convert to JDOM you can use a XOM SAXConverter to feed data into JDOM. To convert from JDOM you can use a JDOM SAXOutputter to send events to XOM.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!