xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Validating Against Relax NG Schemas?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <wolfgang.hoschek AT mac.com>
  • To: Randall R Schulz <rschulz AT sonic.net>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Validating Against Relax NG Schemas?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:52:19 -0700

On Oct 25, 2006, at 11:30 AM, Randall R Schulz wrote:

Wolfgang,

Thanks. Follow-ups below.

On Wednesday 25 October 2006 10:59, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
RelaxNG, XOM and *SAX* can be combined via the Nux method
nux.xom.pool.BuilderFactory.createMSVBuilder(...).
See http://dsd.lbl.gov/nux/api/nux/xom/pool/BuilderFactory.html

Example usage:

Alternatively, RelaxNG, XOM and *StaX* can be combined via the Nux
method nux.xom.io.StaxUtil.createBuilder(...) where XMLInputFactory
means Woodstox StAX configured to validate against RelaxNG. See the
woodstox documentation for examples, as well as See http://
dsd.lbl.gov/nux/api/nux/xom/io/StaxUtil.html

Example usage:

Both SAX and StAX Builder implementations use the Sun-MSV validator
behind the scenes.

I did also encounter Nux in my research. Beyond the fact that it uses
XOM, it was unclear its role in the landscape of XML object models
(generically speaking). Should I forgo direct use of XOM and opt for
Nux instead? What tradeoffs does it pose?

Or, more appropriately, where might I find answers to these questions?

By the way, perhaps I should mention that I plan to use eXist for XML
persistence in the system I'm building.

From a XOM perspective, Nux adds features on top of XOM. Basically, I'd recommend to use plain XOM where that's sufficient and pull in those add-on features where they seem to have enough value for whatever problem you may have at hand.

Below is a figure depicting the architecture in a nutshell.

XOM is a main-memory XML model and can't be made persistent. I think the eXist database doesn't know anything about XOM, so for getting data in and out of eXist you'll probably wind up not using XOM at all, or converting XOM to and from some standard such as SAX, DOM or StaX.

Wolfgang.