xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Compling CVS Sources

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Steve Loughran" <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Compling CVS Sources
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:36:49 +0000

On 3/17/06, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> Sean Truman wrote:
> > All,
> >

> > I have checked out the latest from CVS (as well as 1.1 sources). And am
> > unable to compile UnicodeUtil.java. It gives me a StackOverFlow.
> >

> I'm not surprised that file is giving you trouble. It really pushes the
> limits of Java. Try increasing java's stack size. I'm not sure exactly
> how to do that with ant, but in regular javac the option is -oss or -Xss
> or some such.

set the ANT_OPTS environment variable to whatever JVM options you want,

eg.

setenv ANT_OPTS -Xmx1g -Xss300m

Not applicable for under-IDE builds, obviously.

The alternative would be for ERH to patch the build file with extra
compiler args

<property name="javac.args.line" value="" />
<property name="javac.compiler" value="javac" />

<javac fork="true" compiler="${javac.compiler} >
<compilerargs line="${javac.args.line}" />
</javac>

Pre-1.5, suns Javac compiler leaked static data structures, so forking
is always a good idea. And jikes is so much faster I'd use that
wherever I could. The only reason I've stopped is that it isnt java1.5
aware yet.