xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] In place update and validation with Nux-1.3

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: vitrpp AT netscape.net
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] In place update and validation with Nux-1.3
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:02:37 -0700

In Nux validation and XQuery are completely separate features. Nux is not W3C Schema aware (Saxon-SA is).

Right now, you'd have to update the data, then serialize to a temporary ByteArrayOutputStream, then reparse from an ByteArrayInputStream with schema validation enabled, using an appropriate Builder (e.g. taken from a BuilderPool).

And if your source is a DOM, you'd have to additional convert DOM -> XOM -> DOM using the DOMConverter. It works, but is clearly far from ideal, in light of the cumbersome conversions involved...

Or you could try using Saxon-SA.

I was wondering if Saxon with JAXP 1.3 can be useful.(I am yet to catch up with these two as well).

Potentially yes, but if you'd like to stick with XOM, you'd have to write yourself a JAXP 1.3 provider that works over XOM, rather than DOM or similar. I'm not aware of anyone that has done that yet.

Wolfgang.