xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM performance compared

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: jason mazzotta <jazzdman AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM performance compared
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:29:02 -0400

jason mazzotta wrote:
I did a simple benchmark test to compare XOM and JDOM performance. I don't know if this makes sense, but, the test compared the contents of the new Node to all the other Nodes in the Document. The Node was then added to the Document in an order based on the contents of the Node. XOM and JDOM performed very similarly.

In practice this sort of task is almost inconsequential performance wise. Most applications spend the vast majority of their time on either input or output (i.e. parsing, tree building, and serialization) or both. The speed of in-memory operations is normally so much faster it's hard to even measure. I doubt it matters.