xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:26:26 +0200

I'd therefore argue that, in this particular case, instead of "Xom is
wrong to not seralize" a better claim is "servlet engines would be
less brittle if they used XML documents to represent session state,
not a graph of object instances".

maybe, but who cares? I have a job to do and my job is not to declare war on existing servlet engine :)

BTW, Bruce Eckel (a great Java expert) argues that Python is a much better language than Java for a
variety of reasons. Yet we are all here doing Java...

Luca

Steve Loughran wrote:

tomcat save session state by s12-ing the stuff, I think that is

designed to make it easier to share state across a load balanced
cluster, like when you host tomcat in jboss; your state gets shared
across systems.

I've encountered past problems during hot update of tomcat where the
session cache doesnt purge properly, leading to entertaining version
errors. I'd hate to do a host-by-host live update of a big cluster
while running under real load for such reasons.

Similarly, you cant make session state persistent to HDD and expect it
to reload safely after a server restart, unless every persisting
object really persists properly.