xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Michael Abato <mrabato AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Luca Passani <passani AT eunet.no>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] serializing XOM objects
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:39:02 -0400

On May 31, 2005, at 12:54 PM, Luca Passani wrote:

why? everything works perfectly for me, except for the message in the logs. Why should I introduce extra complexity?

I've heard "everything works perfectly for me" many times - it's a red flag in and of itself. The complexity (which in this case is pretty limited) hedges you against known problem areas that can and will bite as the product matures: memory leaks, session restores, unanticipated encodings, threading problems under load, etc. Putting a layer between the XOM API and the servlet API means you have a place where you can modify code and therefore can respond.

It's cheap to do now. It is VERY expensive later - when you have multiple calls that need to modified to insert the required fix - or even just to diagnose. Having your own code there early puts you in the driver's seat.

Michael Abato